The Catalan Capital has many things to offer any season of the year, but the summer in Barcelona is always exciting and special. You will have to be prepared for the heat, but also for a never-ending list full of things to do and places to visit. Are you ready?
Summer art exhibitions in Barcelona
Barcelona is full of museums, as most big cities. Art, history, science and innovation always fins a place to be shared and shown in the city. Instead of writing down a list of all the museums in Barcelona, we are going to recommend you some of the most interesting exhibitions you will be able to see this summer.
- David Bowie Is. More than 1.5 million people can’t be wrong. This exhibition has visited 9 cities already and it will be in Barcelona until September 25th at the Museu del Disseny de Barcelona. This exhibition is possible because the Victoria and Albert Museum has been able to curate the first international retrospective of the career of this artist.
- Brian Eno. Lightforms / Soundforms. This is an exhibition dedicated to the work of Brian Eno as an artist and it will be at Arts Santa Mònica until October. The display also includes the icon installation 77 Million Paintings and Light Boxes.
- Frederic Amat_Zoetrope. This exhibition is a must for two reasons: the display, that presents a selection of projects by Frederic Amat, a leading figure in the contemporary Catalan art scene; and the location, since it’s hosted by La Pedrera, one of the most iconic buildings of Barcelona.
- Photobook Phenomenon. At the CCCB (Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona) you will find this exhibition, that shows the importance of the photobook in contemporary visual culture and proposes a reinterpretation of the history of photography.
Terraces and “chiringuitos” in Barcelona
There are many things you can do in Barcelona, and one of them is to sit down, order a drink and something to eat, and relax. Where? The best option is a terrace or a “chiringuito” (a beach bar) and here you have some of the best ones.
- Torre Rosa (Pink tower). A Spanish-American century tower with a beautiful terrace. If spending some time in a building like this wasn’t appealing enough, you can add a great offer of quality cocktails to the equation.
- Mirablau. At mount Tibidabo, for when you want to have a drink with panoramic views of Barcelona. Depending on your plans, you can choose when to go: during the day or at night. Since it is a bar, a restaurant and a club, at daytime you will be able to relax and have some tapas (or whatever you prefer), and at night, you can dance while enjoying a stunning view of Barcelona.
- Bar Lobo. Near Las Ramblas, in the Raval district, you will find Bar Lobo with market fresh food. Even if you have to sit inside because the terrace is full, you will feel as if you were outdoors, thanks to the open and luminous interior.
- Xiringuito Escribà. Some say you will eat the best paella of Barcelona here. This beach bar is owned by the Escribà family, renowned in Catalunya for their pastry cooking and cuisine. The perfect place to go for lunch if you are in Bogatell Beach.
It is worth mentioning that you can also go to most hotels to have a drink at the rooftop. It will probably be more expensive than most places, but it will also probably have better views.
As we mentioned earlier, Barcelona is a great place to be at summertime. You will always have something to do, something to see, and even something to listen to. Make sure you add some of these to the “to do” list for your holidays in Barcelona.
Música als parcs (Music in the parks). The name is pretty revealing itself, but there’s more. During the months of June, July and August, Barcelona will host 50 free concerts that will take place in thirty different green spaces around the city.
Open-air cinema… in several locations. It’s up to you: the beach, the Montjuïc Castle, the patio of the CCCB… If you are in the mood for a movie and a concert, you can buy tickets for Sala Montjuïc. However, if you are a fan of wild and dangerous women (and you don’t want to pay anything), then you should check the programme of the summer cinema sessions at the CCCB.
Summer nights at Caixa Forum Barcelona. During the months of June and July, this museum hosts shows every Wednesday evening at a very reasonable price. Dance, concerts, art performances, almost any kind of cultural expression, really, is what you will find here.
Header photo: Sónar